There are countless recipes for sponge cakes made with different types of flour. This cake is made with rice flour which is suitable for coeliacs and ideal for breakfast or afternoon tea.
Rice flour is the ideal substitute for wheat flour and is completely harmless to coeliacs as it does not contain gluten. It has the same nutritional properties as regular flour, with the added properties of rice. This flour can be used to make an infinite number of dishes, especially breads, pastry, tamales, tortillas, pasta, spring roll wrappers, for thickening stocks and sauces, etc.
Ingredient for a 22 cm cake tin::
3 eggs at room temperature 1 natural soy yoghurt (you can also use cow’s milk yoghurt)
250 g rice flour
250 g sugar
120 g mild olive oil
1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC.
2. In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until the mixture is pale and foamy.
3. Add the other ingredients and beat with a balloon whisk.
4. Pour the mixture into the pre-greased tin and bake in the oven for 30 minutes, then leave to cool on a wire rack.
5. Before serving, dredge in icing sugar.
The cake only takes 45 minutes to make and is lighter than cakes made with wheat flour thanks to the lack of gluten. It makes the ideal breakfast or morning or afternoon snack with coffee, tea, hot chocolate or fruit juice.